2023 Rare Disease Day Webinar
Advancing Novel Therapies for Rare Diseases
Monday, February 27, 2023
10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. EST/3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. GMT
Solutions to Worldwide Health Challenge
The Oxford-Harrington Rare Disease Centre (OHC) brings together the strengths and capabilities of the University of Oxford in the UK and the Harrington Discovery Institute in Cleveland, Ohio, US. We are united in our mission to deliver cures for rare diseases.
350 million people across the globe have a rare disease, affecting 1 in 17 people during their life. Rare diseases disproportionately impact children, with a third of affected children dying before their fifth birthday. Patients with rare diseases, and their families, often have a long journey to diagnosis and little hope for a cure. Fewer than 5% of rare diseases have approved treatments. Powerful advances in DNA sequencing, scientific research and drug development will make curing rare diseases a reality.
- Angela Russell, DPhil, University of Oxford: A 2021 Harrington UK Rare Disease Scholar, Dr. Russel will share her experience as a Scholar advancing a novel treatment for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy.
- William Greenlee, PhD, Former VP of Cardiovascular and CNS Chemical Research at Schering-Plough: Dr. Greenlee will share his experience as an Advisor with Harrington's Therapeutic Development Center
- Julia Vitarello, Founder & CEO, Mila's Miracle Foundation: Ms. Vitarello will share her experience as a family advocate for rare disease treatments, with a specific focus on Batten Disease and neurodegenerative diseases.
- Jonathan Stamler, MD, President & Founder of Harrington Discovery Institute: Dr. Stamler will share updates about the vision of The Oxford-Harrington Rare Disease Centre in its global quest to advance cures for rare diseases
- Matthew Wood, Professor at the University of Oxford & Director of The Oxford-Harrington Rare Disease Centre
- Diana Wetmore, PhD, Vice President of Harrington Discovery Institute's Therapeutic Development Center