This program is currently closed. Sign-up to receive funding updates.
Watch our 'Inside the Innovations Advancing COVID-19 Treatments' webinar.
This scholar program was launched as part of an initiative to aid in the global fight against novel COVID-19 and potential future pandemic events. A transatlantic call for proposals was issued to quickly identify promising, near-term treatments for COVID-19 and its co-morbidities, and accelerate next-generation vaccines. The award includes:
- $150,000 guaranteed, with the potential to receive up to $1,000,000 in charitable support
- Drug development expertise and project management support
- A personalized team of drug developers and project manager for every award recipient
- Select access to partners that range from non-profit, foundation, and public sector organizations to private drug development and investment companies
- Awarded projects will run for 12 months, with the possibility of extending the engagement
- MD or PhD (or equivalent)
- Faculty position at an accredited academic medical center, university or research institution in the US, Canada or the UK.
- A project must have a single Principal Investigator (PI), who is responsible for project oversight and financial management. The PI may engage collaborators, core labs or commercial CROs to execute any portion of the project.
- Past recipients of Harrington awards may submit new and distinct proposals, but may not seek additional support for previously funded projects.
Late submissions will not be accepted for any reason, other than issues with the Harrington Discovery Institute’s submission system. Proposals received after the deadline will not be reviewed.
The Harrington Award for Coronavirus selection committee seeks breakthrough discoveries defined by innovation, creativity and potential for clinical impact, including:
- Novel therapies that can target COVID-19 and its co-morbidities, such as impact on lungs and heart.
- Broad-spectrum anti-viral therapies, particularly targeting respiratory viruses.
- Next generation vaccines that may target new Corona strains, multiple Corona viruses or more than one type of virus.
- Emergency countermeasures/prophylaxis strategies for first responders and emergency medical personnel to be administered either once or short term.
Emphasis of call:
- Therapies that can enter clinical trials near-term (i.e. within 12 months) with Harrington Discovery Institute drug development, project management and financial support.
- Breakthrough, differentiated technologies and discoveries.